Environmental Health Departments are responsible for:
- Inspection and Enforcement of food safety legislation in food businesses
- Registration of food businesses
- Following up complaints about food sold or manufactured in its area
- Investigating cases of food poisoning and infectious disease
- Fish inspection and port health duties
- Food sampling
Food safety officers inspect food premises according to the risk they pose. The Food Standards Agency Code Of Practice determine how often each food premises will be inspected.
In addition, food safety sections provide a number of services to assist local businesses. These may include:
- Producing food safety guidance and leaflets on food safety issues
- Food hygiene training courses
- Seminars and workshops on food safety issues
- Food safety award schemes
Whether you are a member of the public or the proprietor of a food business, you should be able to expect a high quality of service from your local food safety section.