Skip navigation

Rate this page

Private Sector Housing

Latest News

Cosy Devon Logo ................ Welcome back!

From a new boiler to free insulation, apply today for your FREE home energy survey to see what you could get

Call 0800 05115458 or visit for full scheme details

How to rent in the private sector

A new guide has been published for landlords and tenants on How to Rent in the private rented sector. Copies of the leaflet are available on the website: How to Rent

Home Energy Conservation Act 1995 (HECA) further report 2013

This document sets out Mid Devon District Council's objectives in improving the energy efficiency of residential premises in our area and the actions we plan to take to achieve its objectives. A copy has been submitted to the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and can be downloaded from the right hand menu.

New affordable finance assistance

In partnership with Wessex Home Improvement Loans we have increased assistance available. More information can be found on our Loans and Housing Repairs Assistance page.

Wessex Logo

Services  for landlords and private tenants

In the case of tenants of private landlords and housing associations some laws are enforced by the Private Sector Housing Team, Environmental Services.

  • Where a landlord fails to do repairs or where the home lacks proper facilities (such as bathroom facilities), the Council can require him to do the necessary works and if he still doesn't do them, the Council can do the works at the landlord's expense and/or prosecute;
  • Houses used as bedsits, hostels etc which are shared by people who do not form a single household are subject to special requirements including number of toilets, bathrooms and kitchens as well as fire precautions;
  • Tenants of Mid Devon District Council should address all enquires to Housing Services.

The Council also provides Disabled Facilities Grants to tenants.  These grants are available to provide defined adaptations for people who are registered as disabled.                                                 

Disputes between those renting and letting a property are often caused by misunderstandings that could be prevented by having access to better information on the rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords. The factsheets are downloadable on the right of this page.

Find an engineer

Services to Owner Occupiers

The Council is always willing to provide advice to property owners on such matters as disrepair, amenities, energy conservation etc and offer the following grants:-
Disabled Facilities grants are available to provide adaptations for people who are registered as disabled.  This can include ramps, bathroom facilities and stairlifts. Assistance is also available to help a disabled person move home.

Assistance is available in certain circumstances to any home which is in Council Tax bands A-D, see Summary of Private Sector Renewal Assistance 2012 (to the side of this page)

For more information on  housing condition, disabled facilities grants, disrepair and energy efficiency in the private sector contact Environmental Services on 01884 244601/2/3/9 or email

Check the card

Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. It replaced CORGI. Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances and always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. For more information and to find and check an engineer go to or call 0800 408 5500. Take care, be Gas Safe.

Signs of Co poisoning

Related Pages