We are responsible for the licensing of alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment. Information about what they cover and how to obtain licences may be obtained from the relevant pages on our website. Additional information and the legislation can be found on the following links:
If you carry out any 'licensable activities' you will need to apply for one of the following; a premises licence, a club premises certificate or a temporary event notice (further information on each of these can be found on the left).
Licensable activities are defined as:
- The sale by retail of alcohol
- The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of, a member of a club
- The provision of regulated entertainment, and
- The provision of late night refreshment (which means the sale of hot food and drink after 11pm)
Regulated entertainment is further defined as:
- The performance of a play
- An exhibition of a film
- An indoor sporting event
- A boxing or wrestling entertainment
- A performance of live music
- Any playing of recorded music
- A performance of dance
- Entertainment of a similar description to music and dance
where the entertainment takes place in the presence of an audience and is provided for the purpose, or for purposes which include the purpose, of entertaining that audience.
The Government has prescribed fees for these licences and they are available here. Fees 2003 Act [157kb]
MID DEVON COMMUNITY ALCOHOL PARTNERSHIP SCHEME
We are also involved in the Mid Devon Community Alcohol Partnership where we work with Devon County's Trading Standards, the Police, the trade and schools and colleges to reduce the incidence of underage drinking and related problems. For more information follow this link.
Current applications received by Mid Devon District Council:
New premises licence application - Kings Head - New premises licence application [40kb]
New premises licence application - Cullompton Rugby Club [40kb]
Vary premises licence application - Half Moon, Tiverton - Variation Application [40kb]
New premises licence application - Lapstock 2013 (Lapford Primary School site) [40kb]
For more details on any of the above you can telephone the Licensing Team on 01884 244617/8/9 or 244646.