Skip navigation

Rate this page

Alcohol, Entertainment and Late Night Refreshment (Licensing Act)

We are responsible for the licensing of alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment. Information about what they cover and how to obtain licences may be obtained from the relevant pages on our website. Additional information and the legislation can be found on the following links:

If you carry out any 'licensable activities' you will need to apply for one of the following; a premises licence, a club premises certificate or a temporary event notice (further information on each of these can be found on the left).

Licensable activities are defined as:

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of, a member of a club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment, and
  • The provision of late night refreshment (which means the sale of hot food and drink after 11pm)

Regulated entertainment is further defined as:

  • The performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting event
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music
  • A performance of dance
  • Entertainment of a similar description to music and dance

where the entertainment takes place in the presence of an audience and is provided for the purpose, or for purposes which include the purpose, of entertaining that audience.

The Government has prescribed fees for these licences and they are available here: pdf icon Licensing Fees [20kb]

Current applications received by Mid Devon District Council:

Application to Vary - pdf icon Frou-Frou [40kb]

Application to Vary - pdf icon Quickes Farm Shop [40kb]

New premises licence application - pdf icon Bow Garden & Aquatic Centre [40kb]