Skip navigation

Rate this page

Building Control

Ensuring that any building work undertaken in Mid Devon complies with the Building Regulations.

The Building Regulations are to make sure that any new building work - ranging from large building works such as the Exe Valley Leisure Centre (pictured right), right down to a homeowner wanting to convert a loft - are built with the interests of the health and safety of building users, of energy conservation, and access and facilities for disabled people (if applicable).

Image of Under Construction: The Exe Valley Leisure Centre The Exe Valley Leisure Centre shortly before opening, Feb 2003

Once the work has been completed, depending on the application method (see Application Forms for details), it will be inspected by the Building Control team, and if we are satisfied that it complies with the Building Regulations, we will issue you with a Completion Certificate. Otherwise, modifications will have to be made in order to get the building compliant under the Building Regulations.

This area of the website has some information for people who may be thinking of carrying out any building work, but who may be unsure of what they need to do, as well as giving out any information on items such as the Party Wall Act, and any changes to the Building Regulations.

Completed: The Exe Valley Leisure Centre The main entrance of the Exe Valley Leisure Centre on it's opening, March 2003

First Time Sewerage for existing properties South West Water has a legal duty under Section 101A of the Water Industry Act to access applications submitted by members of the public where their private drainage arrangements for two or more existing properties is unsatisfactory. See here for further information or call South West Water on 01392 3442020.

Note: It is the responsibility of property owners to make diligent enquiries to determine whether the drainage in the vicinity of any proposed development is a public sewer or lateral drain under the control of the Water Authority and seek their consent to 'build over' prior to construction.  For further information see South West Water website or call them on 0344 346 2020.

Please note that although some building projects may not have requirements under the Building Regulations, planning permission may still need to be required.  See

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).  To find out more see