Skip navigation

Rate this page

Compliments, Comments and Complaints

Mid Devon District Council aims to provide high-quality services to all who live or work in Mid Devon. There are times when things are done really well, but there are times when things go wrong and you are dissatisfied with the service provided. In both cases we want to hear from you. The information on this page can help you do this.

How to give feedback

If you have any suggestions on how our services or facilities could be improved, wish to compliment our staff for doing a good job or  wish to make a complaint, we would like to hear from you.

You can contact us in a variety of ways:

Write to:  Customer First, FREEPOST, SWB 31014 or Mid Devon District Council, Phoenix House, Phoenix Lane, Tiverton, EX16 6PP

Telephone:  01884 255255

Monday - Friday 8.30am - 8.00pm, Saturday 9.00am - 1.00pm

Online:  Complete the 'Have Your Say' online form


In person:  You can visit our offices in Phoenix House, Tiverton or Market Street, Crediton:

Open Monday to Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm and Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm (early closing at 4.00pm every third Wednesday)

or at our Cullompton surgery at The Hayridge Devon Centre, Exeter Hill, Cullompton:

Open Mondays and Thursdays only from 9.00am - 12 noon.

Do you have a complaint against the Council?

By 'complaint' we mean any situation in which you are:

  • dissatisfied with the service you have received from the Council
  • dissatisfied by the Council's response to a request for a service

This does not include routine requests for services (for example reporting everyday problems) or initial requests for action (such as reporting a noise nuisance or a Council house repair) - matters like these should be directed to the service concerned.

For comments regarding planning applications please use PUBLIC ACCESS, an online service that allows you to submit comments on individual applications. Alternatively, you can email your comments to

How to make a formal complaint

Step 1
If you have contacted the office responsible for the service you received and you have been unable to resolve the issues you have with that service, you can ask to make a formal complaint. This can be made in a variety of ways - you can send us a letter, use our online form, or if you do not want to write you can telephone us and ask a member of staff to record the complaint for you.

When contacting us you need to make it clear that you are making a complaint and not just passing on information or making a comment.

You will need to supply your name and address so that we can reply to you. A telephone number is also helpful in case we need further information. You also need to give details of your complaint.

Your complaint will be investigated by the relevant service manager and you will usually be advised of the outcome within 10 working days. If this is not possible, we will let you know that we need more time to investigate your complaint and we will aim to do this within 12 weeks.

For all complaints that cannot be dealt with immediately, we will send out an acknowledgement within three days of receiving the complaint and tell you who is dealing with it.

Step 2
If you are still unhappy with the response you receive you can ask the Chief Executive or a member of the corporate management team to review your case.

Who else can help you?

Your District Councillor is there to represent you and, if you wish, you can ask him or her to help you. Names and contact details of Councillors are available at this link: District Councillors

You could also contact an advice agency, such as a Citizens Advice Bureau. Details can be obtained from the District Council offices, libraries or the telephone directory.

What to do if you are still not happy

If we feel that we have done all we can to put the matter right, we may draw the correspondence to a close. If you want to take the matter further you may contact the Local Government Ombudsman or if you are a council tenant a "designated person". The Ombudsman will normally expect the Council to have had an opportunity to consider your complaints before he investigates it.

Ombudsman contact details
Complaints that are not for Council Housing, a leaflet is available at our offices or you can find details:

  • Local Government Ombudsman website at
  • Telephone 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983
  • Write to The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 477, Coventry CV4 0EH

If you have a complaint about your Council Housing* you can refer your complaint to a "designated person". Designated persons are specified in the Localism Act 2011and they are:

  • A member of the House of Commons (an MP),
  • A local Councillor. This does not have to be a member for the Ward where you live.
  • Our Complaints Panel. Please contact our Tenant Involvement Co-ordinator if you wish to refer your complaint to the Complaints Panel.

The designated person can take the following action:

  • try to resolve your complaint locally;
  • refer your complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman with your written consent, or;
  • refuse to take your complaint on board.

The Housing Ombudsman will send a copy of their decision to the designated person as well as the complaint.

*please note that complaints about allocations of social housing should still be referred to the local government ombudsman.

Can I go straight to the Housing Ombudsman?

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service without going through a designated person but you must wait for eight weeks from the date after your complaint has gone through step 2 of our internal procedure.

Write to:

Housing Ombudsman Service

81 Aldwych



Telephone: 0300 111 3000

Continuous improvement

We will write or telephone some of our customers when their complaint has been closed to ask for feedback on our complaints procedure. The aim of this survey is not to look at the complaint again but to check that the procedure for dealing with complaints works effectively, is fair and to identify any improvements needed. The best way to make continuous improvement is to listen to residents who have made a complaint so please help us by completing a survey if you are asked for your views.

Further information

 If you would like any further information about any aspect of the Council's Complaints Procedure, please contact the Customer Services Manager on 01884 234371, email or write to Customer Services, FREEPOST SWB 31014, Mid Devon District Council, Phoenix House, Phoenix Lane, Tiverton, EX16 6PP. Please note that the Customer Services Manager cannot answer queries with regard to individual complaints which are dealt with by staff within the appropriate service.