We have a legal duty to help people who are homeless or are threatened with becoming homeless. There are many reasons why people can become homeless. We will try to prevent homelessness by offering support such as money advice. In order to provide this service as best we can, we have formulated our Homelessness Service Standards [44kb].
In order to achieve our goals we have developed the Homelessness Strategy 2008-13 [3Mb]. This was refreshed in December 2011 and it is to be agreed by Councillors in March. You can view the new version here.
If you are worried about losing your home, speak to us as soon as you can. We will:
- Try and help prevent you becoming homeless
- Advise you on your housing rights and options
- Tell you what help we can offer you if you become homeless
You can make an appointment to see a Homelessness Officer to talk about your concerns in confidence by emailing email@example.com. If we are unable to help prevent you losing your home, we can offer other advice, such as information on renting privately and the help available to you.
Draft Homelessness Strategy 2013-18
We have now produced our draft Draft Homelessness Strategy 2013-18 [1Mb] and I attach a copy. I would be grateful if you could consider the following as you read it:
- Do you feel that the national context has been considered properly in the development of this strategy? If not, why not?
- Is the information provided about affordable housing in the area sufficient for you to understand the housing market? If not, what further information is needed?
- Do you feel there are any particular areas that are missing or should be emphasised in more detail in the key findings from the homeless review?
- The Council has commissioned a number of services to help in our homelessness prevention. Do you feel that these have been successful? If not, why not?
- Are current homelessness prevention initiatives sufficient? Do you think there are gaps in provision?
- Do you agree with the strategic priorities? If not, please explain why?
- Have we identified the right actions to meet our strategic priorities? If not, what would you suggest?
If you have any comments, please send these by 16 September 2013 to the Housing Policy Officer, Julie Chambers at:
Mid Devon District Council, Phoenix House, Phoenix Lane, Tiverton, EX16 6PP
Tel: 01884 234904
Under Homelessness Legislation, we are not able to give shelter to everyone. This section explains whom we can and cannot help.
Here is some more information about how we can help prevent you becoming homeless.
Relationship breakdown, including domestic abuse, is one of the big causes for homelessness. Here is some helpful information and advice if this affects you.
This section highlights our procedures to help those sleeping rough in freezing conditions.