Skip to main content

On 31 October 2019, the UK is set to exit the European Union. As yet, exactly how this process will work out and the precise implications for local government are not yet known.

However, the Council is working hard to plan for Brexit - no matter what form it takes and, with our partners, prepare for all eventualities, identify all the potential impacts on the district and put in place plans to mitigate those effects on residents and businesses.

We are part of a nationwide system of planning taking place and, for us, this not a political issue, but about ensuring our residents and businesses continue to feel safe and welcome, and Mid Devon continues to be an attractive place to live, work and stay.

What do I need to do as an EU citizen living in Mid Devon?

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

If you are an EU citizen living in Mid Devon, you may need to apply to stay in the UK. The government has an online tool to show you what you need to do.

What preparations should I consider as a UK resident of Mid Devon?

As a UK resident of Mid Devon, you may wish to find out more about what Brexit means for you.

The government has a range of information including going abroad, working and training in the EU and transport including driving licences.

Visit GOV.UK - Prepare for Brexit if you live in the UK to find information for UK citizens.

How can I prepare my businesses for Brexit?

If you trade any goods or services with the EU you’ll need to get ready for Brexit. For example, you need to take action if you:

  • Export goods to the EU
  • Import goods from the EU
  • Transport goods by road
  • Export animals or animal products

The government has a range of information including regulations, employing EU citizens and importing, exporting and transporting.

There's also an online tool where, by answering a few questions, you can be directed to more specific advice.

HMRC also has information and advice here to support businesses get ready for Brexit.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
Security check