Planning Portal - Interactive guidance for householders - contains interactive information on what works require a Building Regulation application

Planning Portal - Building Regulations - contains information aimed at users with a degree of familiarity with the Building Regulations and the building control system

Approved Documents - the most recent versions of the Approved Documents for the fourteen technical "Parts" of the Building Regulations' requirements

The Party Wall Act 1996 - a wall is a "party wall" if it stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners. Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations

Health & Safety Executive - what you need to know if you are doing or having construction and building work carried out

Planning Portal - Building Policy & Legislation - an overview of the current (and previous) legislation relevant to building control

LABC (Local Authority Building Control) Partnership - LABC is a not-for-profit membership organisation that represents all local authority building control teams in England. Our members ensure that all buildings are habitable, safe, dry and warm. With over 3,000 professional surveyors and building technicians working in local authority building control we provide a consistent national service that's delivered locally

South West Water - building near sewers or drains - on 1 October 2011, the Government transferred most private sewers to the ownership of water and sewerage companies

South West Water - first time sewerage for existing properties - areas not connected to the main waste water system may qualify for mains connection under Section 101A of the Water Industry Act 1991. If you have a cesspool or a septic tank which is causing you and your local environment a problem, why not find out if you could apply to have a public sewerage system?

Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) - was introduced by the UK Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

Feedback form