Your building project may require a Building Regulation application even if it doesn't need planning permission. You can either Submit a plan online or use our downloadable forms on our Make an application page. The Building Regulation application should be submitted before you start work. Most alterations and extensions need Building Regulation approval, even if they don't need planning permission (this will often include works inside the building). For more details and guidance, see Interactive guidance for householders and Planning Portal Building Regulations.

What is a full plans application?

A full plans application is when you submit full design details of the proposed building work for approval. These details will be checked against the Buildings Regulations and we'll advise you of any necessary changes needed.

When we're happy with the design, we will issue an approval which may have conditions attached. Our surveyor will then inspect the works at various stages during construction.

What is a building notice application?

A building notice application describes the works to be carried out but without the detailed plans. The notice should be accompanied by a site location plan and the relevant fee.

If you decide to use this method you need to be confident that the work will comply with the Building Regulations, or you run the risk of being required to correct any work you carry out. We will still inspect as work progresses, and we will advise you if the work does not comply. You may need to submit further details (for example, structural design calculations or plans) to us if we request them. We will issue a Completion Certificate promptly when the project is finished satisfactorily.

This method can only be used for domestic building work and cannot be used where there is a sewer within 3 metres of the building or if the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to the building.

Replacement glazing

Replacement glazing has come within the scope of the Building Regulations. This means that anyone who installs replacement windows or doors has to comply with strict new thermal performance standards (just replacing glass is exempt). If you use a tradesman who isn't registered under a Competent Persons Scheme, you will need to use the Replacement Glazing Application Form.

What is a regularisation?

You make a regularisation application when you've carried out unauthorised work and the application is made retrospectively.

For more information see Regularising unauthorised works.

Feedback form