Skip to main content

Here are ways to get support:

  • Women can call The Freephone National Domestic Abuse Helpline, run by Refuge on 0808 2000 247 for free at any time, day or night. The staff will offer confidential, non-judgemental information and support
  • Talk to a doctor, health visitor or midwife
  • Men can call Men's Advice Line on 0808 8010 327 (Monday and Wednesday, 9 am to 8 pm, and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am to 5 pm) for non-judgemental information and support
  • Men can also call ManKind on 0182 3334 244 (Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm)
  • If you identify as LGBT+ you can call Galop on 0800 999 5428 for emotional and practical support
  • Anyone can call Karma Nirvana on 0800 5999 247 (Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm) for forced marriage and honour crimes. You can also call 020 7008 0151 to speak to the GOV.UK Forced Marriage Unit
  • in an emergency, call 999
  • Call 03007774777 or visit saferfutures if you or someone else is affected by domestic abuse, sexual violence and those demonstrating abusive behaviours. Call our helpline Monday to Friday 9 am – 9 pm, Saturday 9 am – 5 pm
  • Shout: 24/7 text service, free on all major networks for anyone in crisis anytime. It’s a place to go if you are struggling to cope and you need immediate help. Text 85258
  • Splitz Support Services We can offer one to one support to adult victims of domestic abuse who are at medium or high risk of harm of domestic abuse. Our helpline is open on Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm. If a voice mail is left we attempt to respond the same day or the next working day.
  • Tel: 0345 155 1074 (landline call rate)
  • Enquiries:
  • Referrals:

You can also email for support. It is important that you specify when and if it is safe to respond and to which email address:

The Survivor's Handbook from the charity Women's Aid is free and provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping your children, and your legal rights.

If you are worried that you are abusive, you can contact the free Respect helpline on 0808 802 4040.

If you are worried about what would happen with your pets

If you are thinking about leaving a violent or abusive relationship, or if you have left and have nowhere for your pet to go while you access safety and support, Refuge4Pets may be able to help by fostering your pet. We understand how hard leaving is, but they’re there to help. You are not alone …. Refudge4Pets provides a pet fostering service across Devon and Cornwall to victims/survivors of domestic violence and abuse so that they can leave with their much-loved pets.

Often individuals and families escaping violent and abusive relationships are unable to take their animals with them, as the refuge or temporary accommodation does not allow pets. In many cases, this will stop people from leaving. Contact telephone: 0300 4000 121 or on website at

If you decide to leave

The first step in escaping an abusive situation is realising that you're not alone and it's not your fault.

Before you go, try to get advice from an organisation such as:

If you're considering leaving, be careful who you tell. It's important your partner does not know where you're going.

Women's Aid has useful information about making a safety plan that applies to both women and men, including advice if you decide to leave.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.