COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF)
On 25th March 2021 the Government announced a new COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF) of £1.5 billion. The fund will be available to support those businesses affected by the pandemic but that are ineligible for existing support linked to business rates.
Officers are currently working on the guidance that was received from the Government on the 15th December 2021, and applications will be invited when the policy has been agreed in the new year.
Note: The Government Grant Support Schemes have CLOSED
The Government had closed the Coronavirus Business Support Grant Schemes. Rate relief is still available for 2020/2021.
Business rates support measures
The Government has announced business rates support measures in light of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Nursery and Retail Discount Business Rates 2021/22
On 3 March 2021 the Chancellor announced a revised scheme for Retail Discount and Nursery Discount. Following this annoucment we have provided information below to give you a high level explanation of how it will work.
Act and Regulation
- LGFA 1988 Section 47
- In line with the legal restrictions in section 47(8A) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988, billing authorities may not grant the discount to themselves or a precepting authority. A “precepting authority” includes fire, police and parish councils or a functional body, within the meaning of the Greater London Authority Act 1999
Who is Eligible
To find out if you are eligible please visit the Government's dedicated webpages.
Amount of Discount in 2021 – 2022 (after taking into account all other reliefs and discounts)
- 01/04/2021 – 30/06/2021 – 100%
- 01/07/2021 – 31/03/2022 – 66%
- Organisations can refuse the relief, but should this happen they are not able to change their minds.
Discount Capping (cash caps) – these cannot be exceeded
The capping values are the maximum amount an organisation can receive in discount, for all properties in England for which they are liable. Capping values are;
- If mandated to close as of 5 January 2021 - £2 million
- Not mandated to close as of 5 January 2021 - £105 k
- Discounts awarded at 100% between 1 April 2021 and 30 June 2021 will not be counted towards the ‘cash caps’
Please note that for Nursery Relief, relief will be provided to eligible properties which are occupied by providers on Ofsteds Early Years Register and which are wholly or mainly used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
For Retail Discount, a Ratepayer may refuse the discount for each eligible heriditament anytime up to 30th April 2022, and if refused ratepayers cannot withdraw their refusal for either all of part of the financial year they withdrew from.
There is no need for businesses to formally apply for the relief. The relief will be applied and bills issued with accompanying letters that may or may not require a reply.
If you need a copy of the letter please download the form:
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format or to request the form in the post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 01884 255255.
You can find out more from the Government's Business Rates Relief pages.