Skip to main content

Licensing services

We're doing all we can to keep our Licensing services up and running. In order to do this, some officers will now be working from home and some processes and procedures may need to be updated at short notice.

We aim to update this webpage with all relevant information as and when it is required (and possible).

Who to contact about general licensing enquiries and application issues?

The best way to contact licensing is via email directly to

The Licensing Team will endeavour to respond at the earliest opportunity, but please be aware, you may experience delays over the coming weeks. Our online register is available should you wish to view certain types of applications and licences.

Who to contact to report a licensing breach or a premises staying open when they should be closed?

All information should be sent to Our Licensing Officers will endeavour to respond at the earliest opportunity.

I served a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) but now the event cannot go ahead. What shall I do?

If you want to maintain your available number of TENs for the rest of the year, you could cancel the one/s that you cannot proceed with now. There is no provision for the return of the £21 fee that you paid or ‘carry it over’ to a future event.

Do I still have to pay my Premises Licence annual fee under the Licensing Act 2003?

There is no specific exemption on offer at this time which allows you to avoid paying your annual licence fee. For this reason, and because we licence a range of premises, we are sending out annual fee invoices as usual. However, we request that if the premises have closed, you email us at to inform us of this, providing the name of the business and licence number. We will then put a hold on any follow up action.

We appreciate that this is a very difficult time and guidance on the support available for businesses can be found here:

What licensed businesses are required to close?

For information on the businesses that must now close, please refer to Government information. Further information can be found here: 

Can I offer a takeaway service?

Information about what is possible for your business can be found here:

You must still operate in accordance with your premises licence and any conditions that it contains.

Information for the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire trade

Our priority is the safety of the public and the safety of you. For this reason please keep yourself updated on the current advice about COVID-19. This is available on the NHS website here:

 The Government has also produced guidance for employers and businesses on COVID-19 which is available here:

 It is important that you check these sites regularly for updates and change your working practices if required.

New Driver applications

We are not currently able to process / issue new driver applications.

Licence renewals and reminders for documents

As a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are sending out reminders for renewals earlier than normal. Pease note that we are not making you submit applications any earlier if you do not want to (although renewals should still be submitted 2 weeks before the licence expires). We are, however, encouraging you to submit them ASAP. This is because the Licensing Team is relatively small and we want to ensure that they are processed in good time.

In addition to this, we are now asking that you EMAIL all renewal applications (and supporting documents) to us at If you are unable to scan documents, please note that we are happy for you to take a photo of the document(s) and email them to us that way. However, please do not email us copies of your DBS Certificate - we can check these online if you have signed up for the Update Service (as required).

Once we have received renewal applications from you by email, we will get someone to phone you for payment.

Although at the time of writing this we are able to post licences, badges and plates out, this may well change in the future. Should this be the case, we will be emailing copies of all documents to you. If possible, you should then print these out and keep them with you while you are working. If you are unable to pint them, then you should save a copy of them on your phone and keep this with you while you work, continuing to display your old badges / plates.

Once we are then in a position to print licences, badges and plates again, we will send them out to you.

With regards to general documents that we need (i.e. insurance, medicals, taxi tests), these should also be emailed to us at (assuming they can be done). Once again, if you are unable to scan documents, please note that we are happy for you to take a photo of the documents and email them to us that way (with the exception of DBS Certificates).

If you do not have a smart phone, or if you are unable to submit documents via email, please contact us as a matter of urgency on 01884 255 255.


We are aware that there are delays with medicals. If this is the case for you, please complete the medical self-declaration form below and email it to us at



MOTs and Taxi Tests

The DVSA has recently published updated information on MOTs. This can be viewed here:

As a result, we will not be checking MOT’s until the extended due date. However, at the time of writing this, garages remain open and in order to ensure vehicles are compliant with all relevant standards (and safe), taxi tests are required as normal. If this situation changes or if relevant guidance is issued, this decision will be reviewed and this page updated.

 Drivers and ‘Critical Worker Status’

The Licensing Team are not responsible for making this decision. The Department for Transport has recently confirmed the following:

Taxi and private hire drivers should not generally be considered Critical Workers. Those undertaking Home to School transport or the transport of ‘extremely vulnerable’ people may be considered Critical Workers on a case-by-case basis. Critical Workers should also whenever possible make suitable arrangements for their children to stay at home; requests for children to attend school should be discussed with the school.


If you have any queries about the above information, please contact us via email.


Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
Security check