Empty Property Discounts
Unoccupied and unfurnished properties - class C discount
To qualify, the property must be both unoccupied and unfurnished. You get a 100 per cent discount for up to three months. When the three months finishes we class it as "long-term empty" and you pay 100 per cent.
Please note that this discount relates to the property. For example, if there is a change in liable person, the new liable party is only entitled to the remaining part of the three month period, as appropriate.
An additional premium of 50 per cent will be added when the property has been continuously empty for two years unless:
- the property is empty because the person resides in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence
- it is an annexe to the main house that is being used as part of the main residence
Unoccupied property undergoing or requiring major structural alterations or repairs - class D discount
A property which requires major repair work to make it habitable may be eligible for this discount. You get a 50% discount for
- up to twelve months, or
- up to six months after the completion of works, to the maximum twelve month period.
1) A Class D discount is granted but works are completed after three months. You will only receive a further six months discount from the date work is completed so the discount will apply for up to nine months.
2) A Class D discount is granted and works take nine months to complete. In this case the discount would last up to the full twelve month period.
Before this discount can be awarded, a visit will need to be made by our Property Inspector.
Each case is considered on an individual basis taking into consideration the physical condition of the property and the nature of the work that is needed.
This discount ends immediately if the property becomes occupied or furnished.