How can you end your tenancy?

If you are a current Council tenant and you are moving home, you must give four weeks notice in writing. The letter giving notice must be received by 12.00 noon on a Monday -  your tenancy will end on the Sunday four weeks later. If it is not received by 12.00 noon on the Monday you will be charged an extra weeks rent. 

Each year, we spend thousands of pounds cleaning and clearing empty properties before we can make them ready to let again.  This means we have less money to spend on repairs and other improvements to our properties.

Before you move out, you are required to:

  • allow our technical staff in to inspect your home
  • allow us to show prospective tenants around your home before you move out
  • have a clear rent account
  • return all the keys to the property to us by midday on the Monday immediately following your tenancy end date 
  • contact your utility providers and give them your meter readings. If you have key meters, leave keys in the meters with no debts
  • arrange for your mail to be redirected

For tenants who are moving out completely and not transferring to another Council home, you will also need to provide us with a forwarding address.

All tenants are required to:

  • make sure that the garden is tidy and free of rubbish
  • remove all furniture, belongings and any rubbish from the property - this includes the loft, garden and sheds
  • leave the property in a clean condition - windows, floors, cupboards, worktops and all sanitary ware

All tenants must also: 

  • make sure the property is in good decorative order
  • repair any damage caused by the removal of fixtures
  • repair everything that you, or another member of your household, have damaged
  • clearly mark any items that you have agreed with us to leave behind for the new tenant

If you do not comply with the above guidelines, we will charge you for the cost of cleaning and clearing your home.  You will also be charged for any repairs that you should have fixed and did not.

In line with our Recharges Policy you will be liable to pay for any work that is not fair wear and tear. Examples of this include clearance of property and gardens at the end of the tenancy, rechargeable repairs and unauthorised alterations by a tenant where retrospective consent cannot be granted.

Moving home can be a stressful experience. Below is a checklist that covers some of the more important things you need to do:

  • change your Council Tax details - go to the Council Tax change of address page for more information
  • contact any Benefit providers for both the property you are leaving and the property you are moving to. For more information see our Benefits page
  • GP and dentist - check if you need to register with a new GP and dentist if you are moving to a new area
  • redirect your post - contact Royal Mail if you wish to do this
  • utilities (gas, water, electricity, oil) - remember to take meter readings before you leave your current property and at the new property when you arrive and pass these on to the utilities companies
  • driving licence and vehicle registration - you will need to have your driving licence and vehicle registration changed to your new address. You can do this online at
  • Electoral register
  • TV licence - your licence covers your current address so please contact TV Licensing to change your address details

Feedback form

More details about…

Contact us about housing