COVID-19: Council housing repairs update
Read our FAQs to find out what housing repairs we'll be prioritising during the COVID-19 outbreak
What we repair
We repair and maintain the structure and outside parts of the property you live in. Inside your home we are responsible for water and gas pipes, wiring, heating systems, drainage, power and light fittings and any items originally provided by us but not items that are your responsibility.
As a tenant having entered into a contract with us, you also have certain repairing responsibilities. These are normally minor items that do not require a great deal of skill to complete and would be easily be completed by any DIY person. You are responsible for the following:
- replacing any bulb, lamp or tube and starter units to fluorescent lights
- keeping gully grids clear of leaves and rubbish
- clearing blockages to basins, sinks, baths, and toilets
- gaining entry if you are locked out and replacing door locks or keys when your keys are lost or broken
- replacing broken glass in door and windows
- regularly testing smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors fitted by us
- resetting trip switches
- getting chimneys swept if used for wood or coal fires
- replacing toilet seats
- replacing TV aerials and sockets, unless communal
For a more detailed list, please refer to your Repairs Handbook.
If you ask us carry out any of the repairs identified above we reserve the right to recharge you the full cost of the repair including any administration costs incurred. You can also request for any minor DIY works to be carried out under our Handyman Scheme.
Under your Tenancy Agreement, clauses 3.1 and 3.8, if anyone in your home causes damage on purpose, you will be responsible for getting it repaired. You will have to arrange to get the damage fixed yourself or pay us to do it for you.
If damage to your home is due to criminal behaviour, we will carry out basic work to make your home safe. We will only carry out further work if you supply us with a Police Incident Number. If we later establish that you caused the damage, we will charge you for the work.