What is the duty planning Service?

Our duty planner service can assist you with general planning advice and information either at our Tiverton office or via the telephone.

Walk in service

Our walk in service runs from 10.00am to 11.00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Phoenix House, Tiverton, see How to find us for directions and parking information.

Telephone call back service

Our telephone call back service runs from 9.00am to 12.00pm, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Your call will be logged by a technical officer within the team. If they're not able to advise you on your query, the call will be allocated to a Planning Officer for a call back within 10 working days. All calls logged are dealt with in date order.

If you're not available for a call back by phone, the officer can email you with general advice, but you'll need to ensure you give the call handler your email at the time of logging your request.

To use our telephone call back service, call 01884 255255 and ask for the duty planning service.

What can the duty planner help with?

The duty planner can provide informal advice on:

  • general information and advice on national and local planning policy and planning processes, and;
  • informal advice on the need to apply for planning permission.

Note: Any advice given by the duty planner is provided on an informal basis and is intended to assist with general, basic planning enquiries. The advice given by a duty planner should not be seen as representing the Council's formal position and is not a substitute for using our pre-application advice service.

What can't the duty planner help with?

  • Pre-application advice
  • Provide a planning application validation checking service
  • Give written expert advice
  • Advise whether or not a plan may receive officer support
  • Say that planning permission would or would not be granted
  • Discuss the detail of large or complex plans
  • Discuss the technical advantages of existing applications, refusals or appeals
  • Agree to any minor amendments to planning permissions
  • Discharge any planning conditions on a decision notice
  • Building Control queries - please contact NMD Building Control
  • Enquiries with plans (these are considered a pre-app)
  • Enquiries requiring site visits (these are considered a pre-app)

Note: Our duty planning service does not provide pre-application advice for specific projects.

If you need planning permission or you need a formal response:

If a formal response is needed about whether planning permission is required, please submit a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Use Application, which includes details of the appropriate fee.

See also Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Use - Guidance.

If you want to find out whether you're likely to get planning permission before submitting your application, you'll need to use our pre-application advice service.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.