Equality and diversity
We’re committed to promoting equality for all those who live in, work in or visit Mid Devon. Under the Equality Act 2010, we have a legal duty to eliminate discrimination and promote equality within our service delivery and employment.
In doing this, we need to be aware of the needs of groups that are defined by the following nine “Protected Characteristics”:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
We’re determined to deliver our services in a fair and equitable way in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. We wish to promote good relations between different groups within the community as we value the positive contribution that all residents bring to the district.
In order to achieve this vision we will:
- Understand the different needs of members of our community;
- Monitor the uptake of our services;
- Evaluate the effect of changes to our services;
- Consult with equality groups and involve them in service changes;
- Continue to make services more accessible and information more freely available
- Tailor services where possible to meet the needs of different equality groups
- Ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse community we serve;
- Treat every employee fairly during the whole of their working life;
- Ensure equality in procurement, commissioning and service level agreements
- Work with our partners to promote equality, remove discrimination and stamp out harassment and intimidation.
We’ve set out how we’ll meet these aims through our Single Equality Scheme.