Group Manager for Finance
About this job
Salary: £50,351 to £53,431
We are searching for a confident, experienced and talented CIPFA or equivalent qualified Group Manager for Financial Services to lead the financial planning and development of a relatively small team as they manage the financial risks, long-term investments and funding challenges to achieve the strategic priorities set out in our corporate plan. This includes leading on monthly monitoring processes, budget setting, closure of accounts and driving forward budget efficiency in a challenging time for local government. The Group Manager is also responsible for the Procurement Team.
This all-encompassing role will require you to manage the day-to-day finance operation, ensuring it runs efficiently and produces accurate and timely financial and management accounts. The Group Manager will also have responsibility for the preparation of the Council’s budgets, closing of annual accounts, delivering the procurement function and acting as the Council’s Deputy S151 Officer. You will also support the Procurement Manager in ensuring the Council promotes compliant purchasing throughout the Authority.
This is a very hands-on role where you will lead from the front and train, motivate and mentor your team. You will be proactive and creative to bring forward new ideas and innovations, to inspire and influence your colleagues to contribute positively to support future service delivery, development and delivery of a number of key projects.
Strong communication skills are crucial to the role, with the ability to build effective working relationships as it will require the post-holder to be able to work with, support and advise the elected Members, the Chief Executive, Directors and other senior managers, explaining highly complex financial information.
The ideal candidate should have extensive experience of:
- Financial control and reporting in a multi-functional organisation
- Financial planning and medium term financial planning cycles in a multifunctional organisation
- Managing staff with a proven leadership and management experience.
- Delivering high quality solutions within a highly pressurised environment
- Delivering change projects to timetable and to budget
- Political and commercial awareness at the highest level.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you then we would welcome hearing from you.
Mid Devon District Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees including:
- A Local Government Pension Scheme
- CSSC offering discounts in shops, restaurants, cinemas, hotels and insurance benefits
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and childcare vouchers
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Generous annual leave, flexible working arrangements and the opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Staff discounts in our leisure centres
- Employee Assistance Programme and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A choice of relocation packages for candidates recruited from outside the District Council’s area are available.
To find out more
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Andrew Jarrett, Deputy Chief Executive (S151) on 01884 234201.
For full details please read the Job Description and Person Specification - MG07 - Group Manager for Finance JD.
The Job Description refers to the level of competencies required for this post. For an explanation of what this means, please see Core Competencies.
A satisfactory basic disclosure check and three years complete employment history will be requested in the event of you being offered the position.
How to apply
Mid Devon District Council
Please remember to quote the following post and vacancy numbers:
|CLOSING DATE||31 January 2020 at 1:00pm|
|PROPOSED INTERVIEW DATE||27 & 28 February 2020|
We're committed to Equality of Opportunity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If we've not contacted you within two weeks of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for showing an interest in this vacancy and we wish you every success with your on-going job search.