Business Grants and Financial Support
Shopfront Enhancement Schemes
It is recognised that the visual attractiveness of a town centre is an important element in consumers’ choices about where to shop and spend leisure time. The state of repair and decorative condition of shopfronts is an important element of this visual impact and therefore a major contributor to a town’s vitality and economic success.
The Council has allocated funding for the purpose of making grants towards the cost of improving commercial buildings within our Town Centres:
- Crediton Shopfront Enhancement Scheme
- Cullompton Heritage Action Zone Shopfront Improvement Grants
- Tiverton Shopfront Enhancement Scheme
Crediton and Tiverton Shopfront Enhancement Schemes
Grants of up to £2,500 are available (with the requirement for 50% match-funding of the total project costs). There is an open-application approach with no set deadlines throughout the year, meaning applications will be determined on their own eligibility and merit on a first-come, first-served basis.
A “shop-front” is defined as any part of the town centre building that is public-facing (facing the street), which could include rear and side aspects, as long as the building has a street-level repair need and relates to the commercial usage of the building.
Small or micro town centre businesses are eligible as well as charities and social enterprises within the towns. This includes properties used for retail, cafés, restaurants, pubs, financial/professional services, tourism and leisure. Other cases will be considered on their merits. Residential buildings are not eligible for this grant. Businesses must fall within the town centre boundary as shown on the guidance map(s).
Total project costs must not include VAT that is recoverable. Statutory fees (eg Planning Application fees) are not eligible costs for funding (although can be included in total project costs).
For more information, please see Crediton Shopfront Enhancement Scheme Guidance Notes and/or Tiverton Shopfront Enhancement Scheme Guidance.
Please note: these grants cannot be awarded for projects already started or completed and are conditional on the work meeting the required standards outlined within any Planning or Conservation conditions.
Businesses wishing to make an application should read the guidance notes first for their applicable scheme(s). Enquiries can be directed to the Economic Development Team via email@example.com.
To make an application, you will need:
- A detailed schedule of the proposed work (including timescale and builder’s specification, showing product, materials and work required)
- 3 itemised estimates / quotes (see guidance 4.3)
- Plans showing the proposals (where appropriate)
- Recent detailed photographs of the building/item to be repaired
- Copy of any required planning permission, listed building consent or advertisement consent
Upon receipt, completed applications will be acknowledged and sent to a Funding Panel for assessment. Applicants will be notified of a funding decision within 28 days from date of submitting all application paperwork. Successful applications then have 12 months from decision in which to complete the works for payment.
Other Financial Support
Here are links to other financial support schemes for businesses:
- Business rate reliefs
- The Heart of the South West (HotSW) Growth Hub provide a central business advice service to businesses within Devon and Somerset and may have information about other grant schemes or support that we’re unaware of. The Growth Hub is a free, first point of contact for pre-start, start up and established businesses seeking support and advice. There is a local, dedicated advisory team on hand to answer questions, provide guidance and to make referrals to specialists on specific business topics such as; funding opportunities, marketing, exporting and innovation.