Skip to main content

What is an HMO?

Under the Housing Act 2004 a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a dwelling occupied by more than one household. See the full guidelines here.

Do I need a licence to rent out my HMO property?

Some HMOs need to have a licence and from 1 April 2018 you are legally required to licence your property if:

  • It is a building in which two or more families/individuals share basic amenities


  • It is a converted building which contains one or more units of accommodation that are not self-contained


  • It has five or more people (including children) living there, and;
  • the five or more people make up more than one household (family unit).

What is the fee for an HMO Licence?

Please see our Fees and Charges page.

How can I apply?

If you think you need a licence, please download and complete our HMO Licence Application form and email it to

Please ensure you refer to our HMO Licence Application Notes to help you complete your application.

Note: A separate form must be completed for each individual property that needs a licence.

For more information:

If you require more information please click on HMO Information sheet or for more advice about HMOs please contact us.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.