Skip to main content

What is an HMO?

Under the Housing Act 2004 a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is simply a dwelling occupied by more than one household.

Do I need a licence to rent out my HMO property?

Some HMOs need to have a licence and from 1 April 2018 you are legally required to licence your property if:

  • It is a building in which two or more families/individuals share basic amenities (such as a kitchen or bathroom)


  • It is a converted building which contains one or more units of accommodation that are not self-contained;


  • It has five or more people (including children) living there;


  • the five or more people make up more than one household (family unit).

How much does an HMO licence cost?

There is a fee to apply for a licence which must be paid at the same time as submitting your application. Please see our Fees and Charges page for details.

How can I apply?

If you think your property needs a licence, please download and complete our HMO Licence Application form and email it to

You should refer to our HMO Licence Application Notes to help you complete your application - this will avoid lengthy delays when processing your licence application.

Note: A separate form must be completed for each individual property that needs a licence.

HMO Register

The Council publishes an extract of the HMO register available to view free of charge by clicking here.

If you wish to view the full register an admin fee will be charged. Please contact us to request this service.

For more information:

If you require more information please read our HMO Information sheet or for more advice about HMOs please contact us.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.