Skip to main content

Whether you practice acupuncture, give electrolysis or undertake tattooing, semi-permanent make up or any form of body piercing, you must be registered with the Licensing Department at Mid Devon District Council.

Both the person(s) carrying out the procedure and the premises where it is undertaken must be registered.* It is an offence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 to undertake any of these procedures without registering the person and premises first.

The byelaws that specify the standards practitioners and premises must meet can be found below under further information.

*unless the procedure is undertaken under the supervision of a medical practitioner 

What are the conditions for compliancy?

We have adopted byelaws which must be complied with. The following Department of Health guidance is also available:

How much does it cost?

Licensing - Other - Fees and Charges 2024/25

Please note that Mid Devon District Council no longer accept payment via cheque.

How do I apply?


  • To apply electronically, please download and complete a copy of the application form and email it to We will then contact you to take payment for the application.


Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.