Payments for Licence Applications
Please note: We don't accept payments via cheque for Licence applications. Alternatively, you can pay using a Debit/Credit Card online via our website, by telephone or in person at our main offices at Phoenix House in Tiverton. (Direct Debit Mandates do not apply for licencing services).
Please refer to our We've changed the ways you can pay page to find out more about making Council payments.
New animal welfare regulations
What are the new animal welfare regulations?
The Government has recently published the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 under section 13 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The effect of the new regulations is to replace some existing licensing regimes and to put in place a new licensing regime to control the following “licensable activities”:
- Selling animals as pets
- Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs
- Hiring out horses
- Breeding dogs
- Keeping or training animals for exhibition
The regulations come into effect on 1 October 2018 and will introduce a new licensing regime to replace the licensing and registration regimes currently in place under the following legislation:
- Pet Animals Act 1951
- Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
- Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970
- Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
- Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
Animal Welfare Licensing Policy
Following our public consultation, which we carried out from 18 November 2019 until 31 January 2020, we've recently approved our first Animal Welfare Licensing Policy. The policy contains important information about applying for and holding an animal related licence. We recommend that all applicants and licence holders read the policy carefully and contact us or email email@example.com direct if you have any questions.
Guidance from DEFRA
The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has now published procedural guidance for local authorities in relation to the new regulations, along with guidance notes on the conditions that will apply to licences. Visit GOV.UK - Animal activities licensing: guidance for local authorities for more information on the guidance available.
How much will a new animal licence cost?
Please see our Animal Licensing Fees for all related charges.
Note: We no longer accept payment via cheque.
- Legislation.gov.uk - The Animal Welfare Regulations 2018
- Legislation.gov.uk - Animal Welfare Act 2006, Section 13
- Legislation.gov.uk - Pet Animals Act 1951
- Legislation.gov.uk - Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
- Legislation.gov.uk - Riding Establishments Act 1964
- Legislation.gov.uk - Riding Establishments Act 1970
- Legislation.gov.uk - Breeding of Dogs Act 1973
- Legislation.gov.uk - Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
- Legislation.gov.uk - Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
- GOV.UK - Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs
- GOV.UK - Animal activities licensing: guidance for local authorities