Payments for Licence Applications
Please note: We don't accept payments via cheque for Licence applications. Alternatively, you can pay using a Debit/Credit Card online via our website, by telephone or in person at our main offices at Phoenix House in Tiverton. (Direct Debit Mandates do not apply for licencing services).
Please refer to our We've changed the ways you can pay page to find out more about making Council payments.
Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations
The Government has recently published the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 under section 13 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The effect of the new regulations is to replace some existing licensing regimes and to put in place a new licensing regime to control the following “licensable activities”:
• Selling animals as pets
• Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs
• Hiring out horses
• Breeding dogs
• Keeping or training animals for exhibition
The regulations come into effect on 1st October 2018 and will introduce a new licensing regime to replace the licensing and registration regimes currently in place under the following legislation:
• Pet Animals Act 1951
• Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
• Riding Establishments Acts 1964 & 1970
• Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 & Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
• Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
If you have a licence under one of the above pieces of legislation that is in force on 1st October 2018, it will continue to be valid until it is due to expire. You will then need to apply for a licence under the new regulations. The Licensing Team are currently working on this and will be in touch with all existing licence holders in due course with further information.
Guidance from DEFRA
The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has now published procedural guidance for local authorities in relation to the new regulations, along with guidance notes on the conditions that will apply to licences. All of this guidance can be viewed here:
How much does it cost?
Please see our Animal Licensing Fees for all related charges.
Please note that Mid Devon District Council no longer accept payment via cheque.
- Procedural Guidance Notes
- Guidance notes for Breeding Dogs
- Guidance notes for Boarding Dogs in Kennels
- Guidance notes for Home Boarding Dogs
- Guidance notes for Dog Day Care
- Guidance notes for Boarding Cats
- Guidance notes for Selling Animals as Pets
- Guidance notes for Exhibition of Animals
- Guidance notes for Hiring out Horses