Council launches Local Support Fund to help those in financial difficulties due to COVID-19
Mid Devon District Council, in association with Devon County Council, Churches Housing Action Team (CHAT) and Navigate Charity, have launched a Local Support Fund to support those whose financial situation has been affected by the current pandemic and are now out of cash for basic essentials for their household.
The Mid Devon COVID-19 Support Fund can provide small emergency payments to help with basic essentials such as food, household essentials, electricity and gas, etc., to help people in financial difficulties if:
- They run their own business, and cannot currently trade / their business has been drastically reduced because of the pandemic
- Their employment situation has changed and their income now no longer covers needs
- They have lost their job due to the COVID-19 outbreak
- They have still not received expected government funding (i.e. self-employed)
If you are a Mid Devon resident and have been affected financially by COVID-19, and can demonstrate a need for immediate short-term financial help, you can apply for a grant online at middevon.gov.uk/COVID19SupportFund or phone the Community Support Helpline on 01884 234387 for help to fill in an application form.
Economic Development Team Leader, John Bodley-Scott, who is leading on Community Support for the Council, said:
“We know a number of people, particularly those who run their own businesses, are going to be in real financial difficulties because of the Covid19 outbreak and lockdown. This fund will hopefully just help them make ends meet until they can find alternative sources of income.”
- The fund is being set up with £102k of funding from Devon County Council
- The fund will be administered by Churches Housing Action Team (CHAT) and Navigate CIO on behalf of Mid Devon District Council
- CHAT, is a local charity based in Tiverton, which provides housing advice, tenancy support and debt and money advice as well as running the local foodbank
- Navigate Charity is based in Somerset, and provides money and debt services across Somerset and Devon