Skip to main content

Can I challenge my Council Tax Reduction decision?

If you disagree with our decision, you have the right to:

  • ask us for an explanation, and/or;
  • ask us to reconsider.

How do I make an appeal?

You must make your request in writing within one month of the date of our decision, giving your reasons.

You can either send your written appeal by email to, or post to:

Benefits Team
Mid Devon District Council
Phoenix House
Phoenix Lane
EX16 6PP

What can I do if I'm not happy with the outcome?

If you're not happy with the outcome, in some cases, you may be able to make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS). The VTS operates independently and will process your appeal at a hearing.

You can appeal to the VTS against any decision we've made about:

  • Whether you're entitled to a council tax reduction
  • How much of a reduction we've awarded you under the local scheme

The VTS cannot hear appeals about what's in our scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your case.

Note: There's a limit of two months to make your appeal, starting from the date you received the response from our Benefits Team, or if we've not responded, within four months of the date you first requested an explanation or reconsideration.

To make an appeal, visit You can either complete:

Please remember:

  • you need to ask our Benefits team to reconsider the decision before you make an appeal, and;
  • your appeal must be sent to the VTS.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.