Appeal your Council Tax Reduction decision
Can I challenge my Council Tax Reduction decision?
If you disagree with our decision, you have the right to:
- ask us for an explanation, and/or;
- ask us to reconsider.
How do I make an appeal?
You must make your request in writing within one month of the date of our decision, giving your reasons.
You can either send your written appeal by email to email@example.com, or post to:
Mid Devon District Council
What can I do if I'm not happy with the outcome?
If you're not happy with the outcome, in some cases, you may be able to make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS). The VTS operates independently and will process your appeal at a hearing.
You can appeal to the VTS against any decision we've made about:
- Whether you're entitled to a council tax reduction
- How much of a reduction we've awarded you under the local scheme
The VTS cannot hear appeals about what's in our scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your case.
Note: There's a limit of two months to make your appeal, starting from the date you received the response from our Benefits Team, or if we've not responded, within four months of the date you first requested an explanation or reconsideration.
To make an appeal, visit valuationtribunal.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-reduction. You can either complete:
- an online form;
- download an electronic copy and return via email, or;
- call them on 0300 123 2035 to request a paper copy for return via post.
- you need to ask our Benefits team to reconsider the decision before you make an appeal, and;
- your appeal must be sent to the VTS.