Skip to main content

Want to view your Benefit claim online?

You can now view your Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction claims (if you have a Council Tax liability), using our new online portal.
Visit our View and make changes to your Benefit claim online page to find out more...

Evidence of your identity can be any of the following:

  • Birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate; or divorce, annulment, separation or ending of a civil partnership papers in your current name. If your name has changed because of marriage or civil partnership, provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate as well.

  • Passport (current and valid) or Biometric Residence Permit.

  • Medical card or television licence in your name.

  • Gas, electricity, water or phone bill (but not a mobile phone bill), in your name, received within the last three months.

  • Current full or provisional driving licence (photocard or paper).

  • Cheque card, credit card, debit card or cash card.

  • Bank or building society statement (not older than four weeks) or passbook.

  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces or Merchant Navy.

  • B79 form for notice that you have been released from prison.

  • Letter from a solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor or HM Revenue and Customs.

  • Letter from the Home Office about immigration status.

  • Residence permit, Police Registration Certificate, Immigration and Nationality Directorate travel document, standard acknowledgement letter (SAL1 or 2) or Application Registration Card (ARC).

  • Home detention curfew licence.


Note: This list is not exhaustive.

We need one document for you and one for your partner, if you have a partner. You can also use any of the documents listed on our Evidence of your National Insurance number page to confirm your identity, as long as it's a different document from the one you use to confirm your National Insurance number.

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.