Documents, links and organisations
See the following documents and links below for further information about contaminated land. Please also see the Frequently asked questions on our Contaminated land pages.
Legislation, government policy and national guidance
- Contaminated Land Legislation and Statutory Guidance [488kb] from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- National guidance documents on assessing contaminated land, model procedures and much more are available from the Environment Agency (EA), Land contamination: technical guidance webpage.
- GOV.UK pages on Contaminated land
Other Guidance from Non-Governmental Organisations
- The Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) web portal on contaminated land can be found at www.contaminatedland.co.uk.
- Environmental Protection UK promote integrated policies and practices to encourage the use and reuse of land in a way that protects human health and the environment, which is delivered through their Land Quality Committee.
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) has information on Contaminated land in the policy section, under Environmental protection.
- National House Builders Council (NHBC) issue warranties on new properties including contaminated land risk information.
- Contaminated Land: Applications in Real Environments (CL:AIRE) for information on the sustainable remediation of contaminated land.
Guidance on the safe development of housing on land affected by contamination
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Environment Agency - Land contamination: technical guidance
- GOV.UK - Contaminated land
- Planning Practice Guidance - Land affected by contamination
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA)
- Environmental Protection UK - Land Quality Committee
- The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
- National House Builders Council (NHBC)
- Contaminated Land: Applications in Real Environments (CL:AIRE)