• Gardens of council property*
  • Communal areas of council homes or flats
  • Parks
  • Cemeteries
  • Public Open spaces

* If the tree query is with reference to a council house /garden please contact us and ask for General Tenancy Team

Frequently asked questions:

Can you recommend a good tree surgeon?

We cannot recommend any one tree surgeon. The Arboricultural Association, a "trade organisation", publishes a list of members who work in the District and are approved, certified and fully insured.

How often does the Council prune trees?

There is no particular period between pruning operations. Trees will be pruned when it is necessary to keep them safe or where they are causing a serious obstruction.

My house is shaded by my neighbour's tree. What can I do?

The first thing you should do is to talk to your neighbour. If you cannot reach an amicable agreement and the shade is cast by an evergreen hedge, we may be able to help, please see our High Hedges page. If the problem does not come from a hedge, or it is not evergreen, we cannot get involved.

Does the Council prune privately owned trees?

Unfortunately we cannot prune trees on private land.

What about Council trees?

We will not:

  • fell healthy trees.
  • reduce the height of trees
  • any other work that will compromise the health of a tree
  • prune trees to improve light levels at properties
  • prune trees to improve TV/Satellite reception

We will prune or fell trees that are:

  • dangerous
  • obstructing a footpath or highway
  • require thinning as part of good arboriculture management

Where trees are felled, in accordance with the Tree Policy, we aim to plant a replacement tree. 

If it is felt that a council tree is causing subsidence to property it is necessary for the complainant to contact their insurance company in the first instance.

Feedback form