Skip to main content

When is this required: 

Development proposals that have the potential to raise issues of disturbance, or are considered to be noise sensitive developments. An Assessment will generally be required for the following types of application: 

  • new, including change of use: within Use Class E (restaurants, snack bars, cafes), sui-generis uses (nightclub and takeaways), E (e-f) and F1 (places of worship, church halls, clinics, health centres, crèches, day nurseries, consulting rooms), E (d) and F2 (cinemas, music, concert halls, dance, sports halls, swimming baths, skating rinks, gymnasiums, other indoor and outdoor sports and leisure uses, bingo halls and casinos); 
  • new residential development; 
  • new industrial development (Use Class B2 and B8) close to existing residential development; 
  • new residential development adjoining established industrial estates or transport sources; and 
  • energy generation development including wind turbine development. 

What information is required: 

The assessment should outline the potential sources of noise generation, and how these may have a negative effect on local amenity and environmental receptors particularly on sites in close proximity to nationally and internationally designated sites. The assessment should also outline how the developer intends to overcome these issues. 

Where noise is likely to be an issue, applicants are advised to contact the Council's Public Health team prior to the submission of a planning application. 

Further Information: 

Noise - GOV.UK (

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.