Skip to main content

Each year the Electoral Registration Officer is required to undertake an Annual Canvass of all households in the district to check that the information on the electoral register is up to date. It is a legal requirement for residents to confirm details relating to their property.

There are two types of electoral registration canvass forms going out this year. Each property will only receive one of the two types of form. 

Canvass form - Ref. CF-E-M

These forms are being sent out from the beginning of September (reminders October and November) and households must respond.

This form asks electors to make any necessary changes and, even if there are no changes, electors need to respond by law, and provide the information requested on the form. It is possible to provide this information over the phone, email, online or SMS (details are on the form). There is a criminal penalty for failing to provide the information required by the canvass form to the Electoral Registration Officer of a maximum of £1,000. The penalty for providing false information to an Electoral Registration Officer is imprisonment of up to 51 weeks in England and Wales or, (on summary conviction) an unlimited fine.

Canvass Communication A - Ref. CCA-R-E-M

These forms are being sent out from the beginning of September (no reminders) only respond it you need to make a change.

This canvass communication confirms the names of people already living at an address and states that if there are no changes, electors do not need to respond.

Individual registration form

If you tell us there are new people eligible to be registered, we will send each person an Invitation To Register (ITR) form. This form invites that person to apply to register to vote. Individual registration forms ask you to give your date of birth and National Insurance number. Alternatively, you can register online by visiting

Why you should register

The Register of Electors is often used to confirm an individual's address, especially if they are applying for credit such as a mortgage, personal loan or even a mobile phone. If you are not registered you will lose your right to vote at the time of an election.

Who can be included on the register?

You need to be included on the register if you are:

  • aged 18 and over
  • a British, Irish, European or qualifying Commonwealth citizen (see List of Eligible Nationalities)
  • a 16- or 17-year-old
  • residing in Mid Devon.

How to contact us

Electoral Services
Phoenix House
Phoenix Lane
EX16 6PP
Tel: 01884 255255

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.