Small business rate relief
Ratepayers who occupy a property with a rateable value which does not exceed £50,999 (and who are not entitled to other mandatory relief or are liable for unoccupied property rates) will have their bills calculated using the lower small business non-domestic rating multiplier.
In addition, if the sole or main property has a rateable value not exceeding £14,999, the ratepayer will receive a percentage reduction in their rates bill for this property. For a property with a rateable value below £12,000, relief is 100%.
The percentage reduction is available where the ratepayer occupies either:-
- one property with an RV not exceeding £14,999: or
- one main property and additional properties, where the additional properties each does not have an RV exceeding £2,899 and is not in receipt of SBRR and the sum of the RV of all the property occupied does not exceed £19,999
If the rateable value or aggregate rateable value increases above those levels, relief will cease from the day of the increase.
For those businesses that take on an additional property which would normally have meant the immediate loss of small business rate relief, they will be allowed to keep that relief for a period of 12 months.
To make an application, the ratepayer (not an agent) is required to complete the small business rate relief application form. If the ratepayer is a limited company, you must be a director of that company to complete an application.
If you qualify for the relief, we will send you an amended bill. If you do not qualify, you will be notified.
Providing the ratepayer continues to satisfy the conditions for relief that apply at the relevant time, they will automatically continue to receive relief in each new valuation period.
A ratepayer who is in receipt of SBRR will need to notify us of certain changes in circumstance:
- the ratepayer vacating the property
- the ratepayer taking up occupation of an additional property
- an increase in the RV of a property occupied by the ratepayer outside of Mid Devon
Please Contact us for further details of how to apply for this relief.