Skip to main content

In you are being disturbed because of a neighbours animal, MDH encourage you in the first instance, to speak the pet owner as they may not be aware that their pet is causing a disturbance. 

Noise from animals

Everyone should be able to enjoy their home and neighbourhood and we ask that tenants and residents are tolerant and considerate of each other.  If a pet is causing a nuisance, we suggest that you have a friendly word with your neighbour, as they may not be aware that their pet is causing a disturbance.

If the behaviour is persistent (continuous period lasting over 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days within a week) and you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or if you have already tried and the situation has not improved, you can contact Private Sector Housing and complete diary sheets with times and dates of incidents.

Dog foulingNo fouling

If you are the owner of a dog or in charge of a dog, you must clear up any dog fouling in any public space.  If you do not, you are committing an offence of which you can receive an on the spot fine, or taken to court and you could be fined up to £1000.

Dangerous dogs 

It is against the law if a dog is dangerous and out of control.  The dog does not have to bite someone, it could just show aggressive behaviour which makes someone feel in fear of their safety.  If you are in fear, please contact the police to report the dangerous dog.

Once you have reported it to the police, please contact us via phone, email or online form.

Responsible ownership

The law requires all dogs to be microchipped with the correct owner details.  Microchipping is a way to identify a dog that may be lost or stolen and can be used to help reunite the pet with its owner. 

If you have any concerns regarding the welfare of an animal, please contact the RSPCA






Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.