Skip to main content

What are Discretionary Housing Payments?

If Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs don't fully cover your rent, you'll have a shortfall.  In this case, you may wish to apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs).

How are DHPs funded?

We get a grant from central government each year to assist those that need extra help with housing costs and the money available is limited. For this reason, we can only grant help to people who have special circumstances, which make it difficult for them to pay their rent.

If you're struggling to pay your Council Tax, you can apply for Exceptional Hardship using the same application form.

Your application will not be processed until we have received all the supporting documentation.


You can apply for DHPs if you're currently entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Elements of at least £0.50 per week. You can't get DHPs if your rent is already covered in full by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Special circumstances include:

  • If your benefit has been reduced because your income is more than the amount the government say you need to live on each week
  • If your benefit has been reduced because a non-dependant lives in your home and they can't help you with the shortfall
  • If you have high heating bills because of an illness or disability
  • In other situations, each case is looked at individually and on its own merits

DHPs can't help with:

  • Council Tax
  • Service charges that aren't covered by Housing Benefit
  • Charges for water or sewerage services
  • Deductions in benefit as a result of Jobseekers Allowance sanctions
  • Where Housing Benefit is suspended

DHPs are usually awarded for a set period, up to a maximum of 26 weeks, although this differs from case to case. The length of the initial DHPs award is based on the amount of time we think it'll take you to find a long-term solution to resolve your financial difficulties. For example, if your rent is high, we may pay DHPs while you look for alternative accommodation.

You'll need to complete an application form providing details about:

  • You will need to provide a formal written statement signed by your land lord showing transactions for the last 6 months, if you have been in the property for less than 6 months a statement for the period you have lived there. You do not need to provide this if you are a Mid Devon tenant;
  • whether you've done anything to try and help your situation, such as asking your landlord to reduce the rent;
  • whether you or your family have any health problems, and;
  • your total household income and expenditure. Your two most recent full months bank statements from all your bank accounts (including all savings accounts).If you have a partner they will need to provide the same information. Sending statements: please send these as a PDF file downloaded from a banking app, instructions below;*1

We may also ask you to produce evidence of expenditure that you have, such as loans and utility bills.

Please bear in mind that this information is for guidance only. We treat every case on its own merits and may also be able to take into account other factors not mentioned here.

*1 - Attaching Bank Statements

  1. Open your banking App
  2. Select ‘Statements’ or ‘Download Transactions’
  3. Select the most recent one
  4. Download it to your phone and save
  5. Open a new email to )
  6. Press attach and select the bank statement from your downloads
  7. Send email with attachment

Or a clear photo of your paper statements or send by post. SCREENSHOTS from your banking app will not be accepted

To apply for DHPs, please use our online application form

Feedback form

500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.
500 character(s) left.